Partner portal migration transforms the channels business for a global PC & Notebooks manufacturer
Since its founding in 1976, the client has achieved its goal of breaking barriers between people and technology. The client ranks No. 2 globally for notebook PCs. A profitable and sustainable Channel Business Model is instrumental to the company’s continuing growth, while its multi-brand approach integrates the client, Gateway, Packard Bell, and eMachines brands in worldwide markets. They design environmental friendly products and have established a green supply chain through collaboration with suppliers. They are proud to be a worldwide partner of the Olympic Movement, including supporting the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games and London 2012 Olympic Games. The client employs 8,000 people across the globe having revenues in excess of US$15 billion.
To support their aggressive sales plans, the client targeted increased use of online media for interacting with their customers, partners, retailers and dealers. The existing web portal built several years earlier was no longer able to cope up with the increased load and complexity of the rapidly growing the client’s online business. Client’s legacy portal desperately needed modernisation so they set up a small team to investigate various technology options and to select a platform which was robust, scalable, resilient, secure and able to handle their ever expanding business requirements. Client needed to adopt new technology to significantly increase the overall throughput of their Web portal and vastly improve the Sales & Marketing content and features. Their internal IT wanted to outsource this project. The client sought out an IT services partner who could support them in their pursuit to modernise their portal and assist them in successfully implementing and deploying the solution.
The client wanted a partner who had the relevant experience in portal development, in particular, could help them evaluate various technical options for modernising their legacy Silverstream based e-Commerce application. The client selected JBOSS as their strategic platform and committed to migrating to JBOSS in a short timeframe. The client also wanted a partner with the technical expertise to look into the existing application and improve the overall architecture and scalability beyond that of the existing application.
In particular, the client wanted the partner who could demonstrate:
- Strong technology experience in Silverstream, JBOSS, Agile, Spring framework and test automation tools
- Sound understanding of portal development and online business
- Extensive Retail and Technology consulting capability
- Exceptional focus on quality and engineering
- Mature framework for knowledge retention, repository and procedures
- Commitment to long term joint strategic initiatives
- Cost effective, global delivery capability
JKT’s solution architects designed and delivered a Proof-of-Concept (POC) project to migrate the Order Entry module onto JBOSS. Based on the success of this pilot, client awarded the entire migration project to JKT. JKT undertook this migration for a fixed price from one of its offshore development centres. During the project, all major modules were migrated in less than a year including:
- Wholesale customer management
- Retail customer management
- Portal administration
- e-Gift voucher redemption processing
- Cash back processing
The client was able to invigorate their partner business in a short time span whilst expanding their customer base to meet business expectations. By leveraging JKT’s global delivery capability the client was able to benefit from substantial project throughput with a series of successful deliveries at the right cost. In addition, JKT made significant contributions in improving the product architecture, software development processes and overall software quality which radically improved the product performance and resilience. The client found in JKT a flexible partner who offered a mature application delivery and support service and breadth of knowledge from their talented resource pool. The relationship with the client is long lasting.
- Integration with their Partners through Web Services
- Standardisation of their framework using MVC
- Flexible and dynamic software development processes using Agile techniques
- Significant improvement in value for money by utilising JKT’s 100% offshore delivery model
- Projects delivered to timelines and quality standards at predictable cost
- Strong and secure IT and network infrastructure in a highly modern ODC