DevOps is usually complex, time and resource intensive. It is an endeavor that faces numerous challenges including architectural defects, time limits and resource constraints. Adopting the DevOps model can overcome these challenge and increase efficiency in migration projects.
DevOps is a software development model that emphasizes on collaboration between all team members in design, creation, development and operation to improve the quality of software. In this model, there is continuous delivery and testing of the software. By utilizing cloud computing platforms, output can be increased while improving testing. A business or organization can adopt this model to increase efficiency and overcome major cloud migration challenges.
Benefits of Dev Ops
Companies that incorporate DevOps practices stand to benefit greatly in the various aspects: culturally, technically and business wise. DevOps aims to maximize efficiency among the cross-functional members working on a project. It promotes fast execution of the project, innovation and functionality.
Here are additional benefits of DevOps:
- Enables for continuous delivery of the software.
- It simplifies the complex project to smaller and less complex tasks that are easy to manage.
- In case of technical and operational problems, DevOps enable for a faster resolution.
- It facilitates higher employee engagement.
- Provides team members with professional development opportunities.
- Creates a working environment where teams are happier, more productive and collaborative.
- Businesses are able to deliver new and well tested features faster.
- DevOps provides a stable operating environment.
- It enhances business communication and collaboration with stakeholders
- It offers the business more time to innovate as opposed to spending a lot of time fixing and maintaining.
Impact of DevOps
Stability and New Features
Many businesses and software application development teams are often faced with the challenge of releasing new features while keeping the software stable. In most non DevOps environment, one is compromised for the other.
However, when working on a DevOps environment the entire team has two main goals with equal priority- to provide new features while maintaining stability. A DevOps environment works such that there is a shared code base, frequent testing, continuous integration and automated deployment. This technique simplifies a rather complex project to simpler and manageable tasks. Project engineers can test the performance of new changes in real time enabling for quick and easier resolution of architectural faults.
One of the top challenges in implementing IT projects is that most projects are time bound yet there is often enormous time wasted in people waiting for others and machines. In other cases, time is wasted as people and resources are stuck solving the same problems. Consequently, team members feel frustrated and unhappy significantly reducing their productivity and creativity. The DevOps environment helps to get rid of these inefficiencies optimizing production and efficiency.
Application Migration to Cloud is a complex project. However, by incorporating DevOps businesses will be able to do more, faster and more efficiently. They will be able to effectively manage architectural defects, time and cost constraints and promote operational efficiency among the team members.